Day 9: Lissy's Not A People Person

               This is my travel journal from my study abroad trip to the UK and France. The names of my teachers and classmates have been changed for privacy reasons.

DAY 9- May 28
               So some people went up to Inverness, but I wasn't able to find anyone to go with. I did want to go to this museum called Our Dynamic Earth. It looked like a science museum. So I asked Gene if he'd go with me, but he and Sally had plans. And then I asked Joan, and she sounded interested, but she and Clara were going to church. Then suddenly both groups said 'okay', and I was all “Whoa.”. Because now we have to coordinate our schedules, and I felt bad about it because I just wanted to go to a museum, not screw up everyone's plans.

               Well, it turned out all right. It was me, Gene, Sally and Tim, and we were going to meet up with Clara and Joan in town. And we would do stuff. Stuff we'd figure out once we got there.

               This woman on the bus, as she got off, looked directly at Sally and said “Shut up. Just shut up for five minutes.” and stormed off. Sally was surprised. She wasn't being particularly loud and all she was talking about was black pudding. She wasn't even saying anything bad about it, just explaining it to the rest of us. Now, maybe that woman's usually very nice and was just having a bad day at the time. I don't know. But I can't imagine saying something that way to a stranger. Hey, if we're being too loud just ask us to be quiet! Or send us your hatred through a telepathic link like the rest of us!

               A man and woman sitting behind us remarked about the first woman's rudeness and apologized. They assured us that we weren't being too loud and even told us about a few good places to eat nearby. I would have liked to talk to them some more, but our stop came up.

               Anyway, we went to the National Gallery. A few areas were closed, but there was still plenty to look at: lots of nice paintings, sculptures, furniture, other people...half the paintings I looked at seemed to jump right out at me as if they were painted in 3D. It was probably because of my glasses. I wore my contacts all day yesterday and my glasses are a newer prescription. Actually, it was probably the mushrooms I had for breakfast. The ones that the white rabbit gave me.


               Whatever it was, it was really trippy. I think that's the most fun I've ever had in an art museum. And I have been to a lot of art museums. There are plenty of them in Texas, but I definitely like the other ones better. Nothing against local artwork, but there comes a point where I don't want to see any more stupid bluebonnets and windmills. Paint something else!

               Once we found our way out, we decided we were all museum-ed out and that we'd skip Our Dynamic Earth. (Also, it was like ₤9.50 to get in if they'd accept our student cards.) Fine with me, as I has having fun already and the only reason I wanted to see the museum anyway was because there was supposed to be a film playing. If I remember correctly, it was one of those that they play on a dome and it was narrated by David Tennant. That's what the sign said.

               I've got a couple books read by David Tennant on my iPod, so I can just go listen to those instead. I'm planning on it on the plane home, actually. He's got a really good reading voice, really soothing...I'll be out like a light in twenty minutes. Really shouldn't listen to him read while I'm driving, though... If he did an audiobook version of the books I'm supposed to read for these classes, I'd have had them read before the trip. I'd absorb all the information through osmosis, or whatever that technique is.

               Where was I?

               Oh, so we wandered around aimlessly until we came to the Tron. Been there before, didn't stay too long, but this time we had lunch there. Good food, good prices, and I love the whole place. It's got about three floors and it all looks like it just sort of happened. It's something old, something new, something borrowed, and vodka blue. Why don't we have more places like this back home?!

               It was Tim's birthday, so guess who got cake? Some chick blew out all the candles as soon as Sally finished lighting them. (Turns out it was Everyone Be Rude To Sally Day.) The cake came with a slight wax filling.

               Lunch was followed by more aimless wandering up and down high street. I got a chance to run down a few closes, something I'd been dying to do since we came here. The closes end up being anything from dingy alleys, streets, or nifty-looking secret passages. I love that. It's like a little doorway to a world of wonder! Or hobos. Or wonderful hobos. But once again, nobody would walk through them with me.

               "Come on, it looks so cool!"
               "Nope."
               "According to the map, it opens onto the other street. It's like a shortcut."
               "No."
               "But it's well-lit and I can see the other end from here."
               "No, it's dangerous."
               "Look! It's got a restaurant! I can see other people, and they're smiling and happy!"
               "It's probably a trick."

               I'm starting to get fed up with the stupid buddy system.

               There was a street performer about halfway through his act. He was great! He had some whips, balloons, an amp, a lighter that accidentally exploded, everything. He called up a few volunteers, he swallowed a balloon like a sword, he escaped from a straitjacket, but the best part was his banter. Any outside influence at all, he worked with it. The church bell rings; a dog barks; some kid shouts something. He was hilarious. I wish I could improvise like that! I told him so after the show, and he told me to stick with theatre.

               We got a few pictures with him, and even one with Tim in the straitjacket. (Happy birthday!) And we proceeded to wander around, stopping to shop here and there until it was determined it was time to go back to campus.

Newer Post

Older Post

Powered by Blogger.

About Me

My photo
So, this is my blog. It's my own little outlet for my random bursts of creativity. It's also a convenient way for my mother to stalk me. Sadly, it does not come in flavors...yet.

Followers